Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nice Reminder

I've shared my Upper Room daily devotional with you guys before. This was a nice encouragement for me to keep "trucking on" and improving myself.

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
-Colossians 3:15-17 (NRSV)

Today's Scripture

Jesus said, "You are like light for the whole world."
-Matthew 5:14 (TEV)



SOME years ago while studying abroad, I was sad and homesick. My studies were proving more challenging than I had expected. One morning I was especially downhearted, feeling sorry for myself, when I heard a sound, "Tap! Tap!" Looking out my window, I saw a young, blind woman. The tapping sound was produced by the stick she was using to make her way.

Despite her handicap, she determinedly made her way along. As I reflected on what I saw in this young woman, I was encouraged to continue with my studies and, in due course, completed them.

Christ calls us to put forth our best effort in any task. We never know who may be watching us - someone suffering from a debilitating disease, a colleague at work facing financial challenges, a young person discouraged because he can't find a job, a young couple trying to cope with a rocky marriage, a member of our own family in distress. All these as well as others may be looking for encouragement and inspiration that could come from our example. This is precisely why Jesus reminds us, "You are like light for the whole world."

No comments: